SMSCom Twin Fan Controller 4.5A MK2
The SMSCom Twin Fan Controller 4.5A MK2 is a top-quality product that automatically augments the speed of your intake and outlet (exhaust) duct fans to sustain a steady user-set temperature within your hydroponic growing area.
The unit also allows you to select a minimum fan speed (for maintaining a specific steady level of airflow) and set by how much faster your outlet fan should operate than your intake fan.
This differential will establish a negative pressure that ensures that unwanted odours do not escape. After a brief learning time, this controller maintains steady speeds, increasing the fan’s speed when it notices the temperature starts to rise and then reducing it again when it falls.
This product comes complete with its own IEC power cable and socket, which makes it easier to switch to a longer cable if and when necessary.
The Twin Speed Fan Controller offers several handy attributes, and these include:
- SMSCom is well known for its excellent quality and value for money
- Provides superb control over your growing area’s air temperature
- Regulates the speed of the intake and outlet fans
- Sustains your set grow room temperature with an external temperature sensor
- Permits you to specify minimum fan speed, ensuring good airflow even at low temperatures
- Maximum fan speed setting option, which is very useful for using oversized fans
- Supplies two outputs of up to 510 Watts (2.25 amps) each
How the Fan Controller Works
This controller is the MK2 version of the SMSCom Twin. It offers all of the features that made the original version successful, regulating the intake and the extractor fans according to the room temperature.
The new Mk2 version is a lot more compact and takes up only 50% of the area of the original version. This unit has two useful sockets on the front panel, one for the intake fan and the other for the extractor fan, and it has three controller dials.
The first allows you to set the minimum fan speed, and it will enable you to select the lowest fan speed, which is necessary for adequate airflow in your growing area or grow tent.
The second dial allows you to set the optimal temperature to be maintained.
The third dial enables you to select the fan’s maximum speed, which is especially useful for using large (oversized) duct fans.
If the fan you’re using is larger than is strictly necessary for the size of your growing area, then you probably don’t want it kicking in at full power. So by using this “maximum fan speed” dial, you’ll make sure that this won’t happen.
How to Use
- Plug in your inlet fan (the left socket) and your extraction fan (the right socket).
- Position your temperature sensor in the growing area.
- Set your minimum speed, maximum speed, and target temperature using each of the three knobs.
- Plug in your controller and switch it on.
- 24°C to 28°C (during the day/lights on)
- 22°C to 23°C (during the night/lights off)
Remember that the minimum fan speed you set on the controller’s front panel must always be high enough to get rid of adequate quantities of old, stale air from your growing area, even if the room is quite cold. If you set the fan speed too low, there might not be enough fresh airflow to replenish the carbon dioxide for optimal plant growth and well-being.
And it’s also worth noting that having your fan speed set too low might not keep the humidity level down enough for robust plant growth and reduce the incidence or risk of rot or mould during your plants’ flowering stage.
Always ensure that you place your temperature sensor well away from any direct light source, but keep it at the same height as the tops of your plants (at canopy level).
When setting the fans’ minimum speed, ensure that it’s high enough for good, adequate airflow and air exchange (and you also have CO2 levels and moisture to consider).
Warning: You should never use this fan speed controller with a normal circulation fan. They have their own (usually integral) speed controllers. If you use them with a controller, you could burn out the fan or controller.
Where Can I Buy a SMSCom Twin Fan Controller 4.5A MK2?
You can buy a SMSCom Twin Fan Controller 4.5A MK2 without difficulty from our online store.